• Derek Bell


With plenty Lowland League clubs involved in Cup action on Saturday there was a truncated but important league programme played with five of the top six in action across three games.

Leaders Bonnyrigg Rose entertained bottom side Dalbeattie Star who were looking for their first point and first goal of the league season. With Rose having scored 15 goals and Star conceding 16 the outcome seemed inveitable. However, a defensive Star side held tight in the first half and the game was goalless at half time, the closest Rose coming being a Scott Gray shot hitting the woodwork. The second half continued in a similar manner until the 58th minute when Jonny Brown hit home a volley to give Rose the lead. 20 minutes later Ewan Murray was on hand to head home a Lee Currie corner. Dalbeattie's cause wasn't helped when three minutes later Greig Thorburn was shown red for denying George Hunter a goalscoring opportunity. Hunter would get his reward when he put in a McGachie cross in injury time to give Rose a 3 - 0 victory, keeping them top of the league and Star anchored to the bottom. To be fair to Star they have had a fairly horrendous fixture list to start the season facing four of the better teams in the league.

Fifth entertained sixth with BSC Glasgow at home in Alloa to Caledonian Braves. There was a blow for the Braves just before kick off when first choice centre back Jack MacDowall was injured and had to be replaced by a trialist. Unfortunately for the Braves this seemed to unsettle them and Mr Trialist had a nightmare start. Full back Jamie McCormack getting his second goal of the season in the ninth minute having been put through by Tom Orr (not the last we will hear of this pair). BSC were creating chances at will exposing a shaky defence but failing to convert. McCormack and Orr had a disagreement after one failed attack - enough for them both to see yellow.

@BSCGlasgow react to the team falling out

On the 33rd minute Jamie Hamilton finally converted another chance to put the home side up and Tom Orr gave them a comfortable three goal cushion at at half-time. Braves put the Trialist out of his misery by subbing him at half-time. The game was to continue in much the same pattern though and in the 55th minute McCormack set up Martin Grehan whose first effort was blocked with the rebound ricocheting back off him and into the net. Three minutes later and it was five with Ross McMillan heading in a corner. In a surprise turn Braves pulled one back through Dailly in the 68th minute. BSC weren't quite done though and McMillan put away his second header of the game in the 73rd minute to finish of the scoring and give BSC the 6 - 1 win, though there was still time for Orr to have one disallowed for offside. Regardless of the poor quality of the defending at times this was another good result for BSC and Orr and McCormack look like ones to watch as the season progresses in the fitba (as BSC like to refer to the beautiful game, do give their twitter @BSCGlasgow a follow, it'd very entertaining).

The third game of the day saw Kelty travel to Broadwood to face Cumbernauld and hoping to cement second place. Kelty arrived on the back of a midweek cup win at Annan providing a boost to their confidence should any be needed and with a free scoring attack having hit 17 goals in three league games. The first half saw BFKH struggle to break down the Colts defence with their best chances coming from free kicks, one cracking off the bar. Meanwhile they were susceptible to the fast breaks of the Colts. On forty minutes Marty Wright collected the ball on the edge of the box with his back to goal, managed to turn and get a shot away past the defender and the keeper to give Colts the lead. There was still time for another away free kick to crash of the bar and for Nathan Austin to flash a header wide from the resulting cross. The second half started with the away side pressing and winning free kicks but with no end result. Eventually in 58 minutes they got a penalty but Scott Linton's effort was pretty poor and straight at keeper Grier who saved with his legs. They continued to press but struggled to break down a stubborn defence, and Colts has more chances on the break. The pressure finally told in the 87th minute when Nathan Austin got his goal after getting between two defenders, controlling a long ball with his chest and hitting it home. The pressure was now firmly on Colts and Austin had another two chances until an attack broke down in the box, Fraser Team picked the ball up on the edge of the box and sped off down the right wing int the other half before picking out Stephen O'Neill on his own lung busting run through the middle with no defender in reach, one touch into the box and a left foot shoot that seemed to completely confuse keeper McKenzie and it was 2 - 1 to the home side in stoppage time. with BFKH having no response despite creating a couple of more chances. Post match Wee Barry had no complaints feeling BFKH lacked tempo and that Colts deserved the win. On observation having seen this highlights is that the clash between Rose and BFKH when it comes could feature a lot of free kicks.

So the day ended with Bonnyrigg three points clear of BSC and Colts and four from BFKH and the Braves. Setting up a cracker of a match on Friday night when it's Bonnyrigg's turn to visit Broadwood.

55 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Tomorrow sees Gretna FC 2008 make the journey along the border for the first ever league meeting between the two teams (in whatever guise you consider Gretna). We should of course have met earlier in