• Derek Bell





A 64th minute goal from substitute Yaw Osei was enough to take the three points for Berwick at Peffermill on Tuesday night in a game they made heavy weather of, somewhat appropriately given some of the weather conditions driving in to Edinburgh.

The Dream Team had gone into the match on the back of two confidence building cup wins and clean sheets. Boss Little made two changes to the starting line up from Saturday with Ali Forster coming in for Ciaren Chalmers and, to the surprise of the away support, a trialist keeper who turned out to be Mark Walters (not that one). The home side had one familiar face, to Dan Purves at least as his brother Jordan lined up as a full back for the uni. This was a match where it was really felt we needed to get the season started and it already seemed a must win, so the last thing we probably needed was to be coming up against a team trying to bounce back from being Dalbeattie's first victims at the weekend.

The set up at Peffermill seemed quaintly old fashioned at first glance with the dressing rooms in what appeared to be a converted house with a tea (yes, tea) downstairs which seemed a bit out of place with the more modern sports facilities over the burn, one small stand of the sort we will become familiar with as the season progresses and a good quality grass pitch.

Early on there was little between the two teams and not too much to report, Rose having a couple of half hearted headed chances. The first real chance fell to the Uni with Maurice picking the ball up just inside the Berwick half, driving forward and shooting from outside the box. Walters got down well to palm it away. Around the quarter hour mark Berwick were awarded a penalty for handball in the box, a Euan Smith shot coming of a falling defender. Having scored one on Saturday Healy stepped up but this time he smashed the penalty of the post the keeper having gone the wrong way. Walters was called into action pushing another long range shot wide.

Into the second half and both teams continued to huff and puff without really creating any clear chances. Fifteen minutes into the second half Osei was introduced for Healy and four minutes later he would make the decisive intervention. Picking up a long ball just inside the Uni half he used his strength to overpower and cut inside the defender, beating him for pace before rounding the keeper and slotting home. Dan Purves came on and gave us a bit more going forward, one jinking run setting up a sitter that Rose managed to blast high. As the game entered it's final stages we seemed to sink back further and further allowing Uni more possession but without them really creating anything to worry Walters.

In the end the three points were heading back down the A1 but this wasn't a great performance. We seemed to take one or two passes too many every time, crosses were more hopeful punts than targeted balls and we still looked exposed at times down the right side. It took what was probably the one moment of quality in the game to give us the win. Ricky Miller continued to enhance his reputation as the rock at the back and Smith and Forster had decent enough games. Barr was less effective than he has been and Purves certainly added something when he came on. The best player on the pitch though was Mark Waters the Edinburgh number 8, for long periods he was the controlling influence and mot of their good stuff came from him.

TEAMS:BERWICK RANGERS: Mark Walters (Trialist), Ciaran Brian, Kevin Waugh, Jack Cook, Ricky Miller, Euan Smith (Ali Smith 75m), Lewis Barr, Ali Forster, Daryl Healy (Yaw Osei 60m), Grant Rose, Cammy Lumsden (Dan Purves 80m)

Subs not used: Gary Windram, Kieran Jack, Ciaren Chalmers, Ryan Kidd (GK)

EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY: Kieran MacDougall, Luke Murray, Jordan Purves, Ross McGuire, Stuart MacFarlane, Finn Daniels-Yeoman, Robbie Sinclair, Mark Waters, Ross Watters, Patrick Baird, Louis Maurice

Subs not used: Calum MacDonald, Aidem Kemp, Daniel McBeth, Anthony Laing, David Maskrey, Farold Butchard

GOALS: Yaw Osei (64m)

BOOKINGS: Grant Rose


Referee: Greg Haynes

Assistant Referee: Danny MacKinnon

Assistant Referee: Raymond Hume


There's a decent photo album here from @Hibbie7062Susan on Twitter


95 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Tomorrow sees Gretna FC 2008 make the journey along the border for the first ever league meeting between the two teams (in whatever guise you consider Gretna). We should of course have met earlier in